English Idiom – On cloud nine.
Meaning – Extremely happy. The English idiom on cloud nine is used to express a state of extreme happiness and elation. It is usually used to describe a feeling of joy that is so intense that it is almost surreal.
More featured phrases to express happiness:
- Chuffed – Slang
- Full of the joys of spring – Idiom
- On top of the world – Idiom
- Tickled pink – Idiom
- Walking on air – Idiom
- Whale of a time – Idiom
When could you use this idiom?
- You’ve just won the lottery.
- You have passed an important English exam.
- A friend has given you some amazing news.
- Your football team has won the World Cup!
- “After finding out she was pregnant, Emily was on cloud nine.”
In The News:
Argentina stars Lionel Messi and Emiliano Martinez on cloud nine after reaching World Cup final
- Is there an idiom like this in your country?
What is an idiom?
An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.
What is FunkyEnglish?
FunkyEnglish is a website that helps you improve your English. We offer quick lessons that teach idioms, slang, phrasal verbs and more. Visit our homepage to see our latest articles, or use the menu to find specific content!