- Idiom – On top of the world or Sitting on top of the world
- Meaning – Feeling wonderful. This idiom can be used when you are feeling ecstatic, glorious or delighted.
Other expressions featuring the world:
- A world of good (idiom) – If something will do you a world of good, it will be of great benefit to you.
- All the time in the world (idiom) – To have an unlimited amount of time.
- Best of both worlds (idiom) – To gain the benefits of two different things at the same time.
- Dead to the world (idiom) – Fast asleep.
- End of the world (idiom) – A huge problem. This expression is often used in a sarcastic way.
- Have the world at your feet (idiom) – To have a promising future.
- Out of this world (idiom) – Wonderful or amazing.
- It’s a small world – This expression is used when two people find they know someone in common. It can also be used if you meet someone in a faraway or unusual place.
- The world is your oyster (idiom) – You are in a position to take advantages of all that life has to offer.
- World-class (idiom) – Highly talented or rated.
When could you use this idiom?
- When your boyfriend proposes to you.
- If you pass a difficult or important exam.
- When you graduate from university.
- You get a wonderful new job.
- “I can’t believe that I’ve been promoted. I’ve been trying for years. I’m on top of the world!”
- Is there an idiom like this in your country?
What is an idiom?
An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.