- Proverb – An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- Meaning – Apples are healthy because they are rich in vitamins and other essential nutrients. If you eat more fruit and have a healthy diet you will be less likely to need a doctor.
- This expression is usually used to encourage younger children to eat more fruit.
- The original version of this proverb was Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread. In this expression bread is a slang expression for money.
- Is there a similar proverb in your culture?