Proverb – An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Meaning – Apples are healthy because they are rich in vitamins and other essential nutrients. If you eat more fruit and have a healthy diet you will be less likely to need a doctor.
This expression is usually used to encourage younger children to eat more fruit.
The original version of this proverb was Eat an apple on going to bed, and you’ll keep the doctor from earning his bread. In this expression bread is a slang expression for money.
More Apple Expressions:
- Apples And Pears (slang) – Cockney rhyming slang for stairs.
- Compare Apples And Oranges (idiom) – Compare two things that are not similar.
- The Apple Of My Eye (idiom) – The person that you love the most.
- The Big Apple (idiom) – New York City.
In The News:
An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away — Fact or Fiction?
- Is there a similar proverb in your culture?
What is FunkyEnglish?
FunkyEnglish is a website that helps you improve your English. We offer quick lessons that teach idioms, slang, phrasal verbs and more. Visit our homepage to see our latest articles, or use the menu to find specific content!