British English Slang – Belly
Meaning – Stomach. The front part of the body between your chest and your legs.
Here is a selection of different types of belly:
- Beer belly – A large protruding belly that is the result of frequently drinking a lot of beer.
- Delhi belly – An old fashioned term for a bad stomach caused by visiting an unfamiliar place.
- Pot belly – A large belly, similar to a beer belly.
- Yellow belly –Idiom – A coward.
You should also be familiar with the following expressions that feature bellies:
- Belly button – Another way of referring to your naval.
- Belly dance – A type of solo dance performed by a woman with her stomach exposed. Check out an example of a belly dance on YouTube.
- Belly flop – A dive into water when you land on your front – which can be very painful!
- Belly laugh – A deep, hearty laugh.
- To go belly up – Idiom – To go bankrupt or to fail.
- “You need to go on a diet. You have a massive belly!”