“A hike in the wilderness! A lone hiker hikes through the mist.”
Hiking is a recreational activity or hobby that involves walking on trails or paths in natural environments such as forests, mountains, or parks. Hikers typically carry backpacks containing food, water, and other essentials for their journey.
Hiking can range from short walks on easy trails to multi-day treks over challenging terrain. Some hikers enjoy taking scenic routes to enjoy nature and wildlife, while others prefer to challenge themselves by climbing steep hills or mountains.
Hikers often choose to explore various trails and routes based on their experience level, personal interests, and physical abilities. Some popular hiking destinations include parks and other nature reserves.
People enjoy hiking for a variety of reasons, including physical exercise, stress relief, mental health benefits, and the opportunity to explore and connect with nature. Hiking also provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, especially when reaching a destination or summit. Additionally, many hikers appreciate the opportunity to spend time with friends or family while enjoying the great outdoors.
- backpack (noun) – a bag with shoulder straps used to carry supplies and equipment on hikes or trips.
- connect with nature – to establish a meaningful and personal relationship with the natural world.
- hike (verb) – to walk on a trail or path, especially in a natural environment, for recreational purposes.
- hobby (noun) – an activity done for pleasure or leisure, often pursued regularly in one’s free time.
- nature reserve (noun) – a protected area of land and/or water where plants and animals are conserved and protected from human activities.
- park (noun) – a large area of land set aside for public enjoyment, often including recreational facilities and natural features.
- scenic (adjective) – having beautiful or picturesque views, especially of natural landscapes.
- summit (noun) – the highest point or peak of a mountain or hill.
- terrain (noun) – the physical features and characteristics of a landscape or area, including its elevation, vegetation, and natural features.
- the great outdoors (idiom) – the natural environment outside of urban or developed areas, often associated with recreational activities such as hiking, camping, and fishing.
- trail (noun) – a path or track, often marked, for hikers, bikers, or other outdoor enthusiasts to follow.
- trek (noun) – a long and often challenging journey on foot, especially through rugged or remote areas.
- wildlife (noun) – the animals and plants that live in a natural environment and are not domesticated or cultivated.
Hobbies Photo Vocabulary:
In The News:
Why, Oh Why, Would Someone Hike the Appalachian Trail Again
A picture is worth a thousand words
What is FunkyEnglish?
FunkyEnglish is a website that helps you improve your English. We offer quick lessons that teach idioms, slang, phrasal verbs and more. Visit our homepage to see our latest articles, or use the menu to find specific content!