English Idiom – Pipe dream
Meaning – An idea or plan that is very unlikely to happen. An impossibility or an unrealistic dream. A pipe dream is a dream that is probably not going to happen, because it is just a fantasy.
- This idiom originated as a reference to the dreams experienced by opium pipe smokers.
When could you use this idiom?
- You are sharing your fantasies with friends.
- Somebody who you know has set themselves unrealistic goals.
- You are trying to convince your friend that they can make their dreams come true – their hopes are not just pipe dreams!
- “I wish that I could achieve world peace, but I know it is nothing more than just a pipe dream.”
In The News:
- Is there an idiom like this in your country?
What is an idiom?
An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.