“A selection of delicious bread in a bakery, all baked by a hardworking baker.”
- A baker might also bake brownies, cookies, pastries, pies and tarts.
More Bread Vocabulary:
These words may be useful if you are discussing bread or baking!
- Crusty (adjective): having a hard, crispy outer layer
- Dense (adjective): having a heavy, thick texture
- Fluffy (adjective): light and soft in texture
- Fresh (adjective): recently made or produced (slang – fresh means cool or trendy)
- Gluten-free (adjective): not containing gluten, a protein found in wheat and other grains
- Knead (verb): to work dough by pressing, folding, and stretching it, in order to develop gluten and create a smooth texture
- Nutritious (adjective): containing valuable nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals
- Rise (verb): to become larger and more fluffy due to the action of yeast or another leavening agent
- Savory (adjective): having a pleasant, spicy or salty taste
- Sliced (adjective): cut into thin, flat pieces
- Soft (adjective): easy to compress or bend; opposite of hard
- Sweet (adjective): having a sugary taste; opposite of sour
- Toasted (adjective): browned by exposure to heat, as in a toaster or oven
- Whole-grain (adjective): made from the entire grain, including the bran and germ
- Yeasty (adjective): having the taste or aroma of yeast, a type of fungus used in bread-making
Expressions with Bread:
- Bread – (UK slang) – Money
- Bread and butter – (idiom) – Your main or only form of income – gives you the money you need to live
- Break bread with (someone) – (idiom) – To share a meal with someone and have a positive social interaction with them
- Brown bread – (UK slang) – Cockney rhyming slang for ‘dead’
- Greatest thing since sliced bread – (idiom) – An excellent or useful new invention
- Know which side your bread is buttered – (idiom) – To know what to do in order to take advantage or make the best possible situation of something
In The News:
A crusty, comforting loaf of rustic bread in just one hour — really
A picture is worth a thousand words
What is FunkyEnglish?
FunkyEnglish is a website that helps you improve your English. We offer quick lessons that teach idioms, slang, phrasal verbs and more. Visit our homepage to see our latest articles, or use the menu to find specific content!