English Idiom – Feel Blue
Meaning – To feel sad or depressed. This expression can be used to describe any unhappy feeling you may have.
Colours and Emotions:
Different colours can be used to portray different emotions or moods when speaking in English. Here are a few common colour and emotion combinations:
|Red||Anger/Shame||Red in the face|
|White||Shock||White as a ghost|
When could you use this idiom?
- You are generally feeling depressed because things are not going well.
- It has been raining for a week and it shows no sign of stopping.
- You have failed all of your exams and need to take them again.
- “My brother is feeling blue at the moment because he has to drop out of university. It’s just too expensive for him.”
In The News:
- Is there an idiom like this in your country?
What is an idiom?
An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.