“A majestic lion with a beautiful mane surveys the world around him.”
Lion facts and vocabulary:
- The collective noun for a group of lions is pride.
- A young lion is called a cub.
- A female lion is known as a lioness.
- The male lion grows a mane.
- Lions are native to Africa and India.
- Lions spend around 20 hours a day resting – and nearly an hour a day eating!
- The lion is known as a hypercarnivore. A hypercarnivore is an animal that has a diet that is more than 70% meat.
- Lion’s prey includes wildebeest, zebra, deer, giraffe and buffalo.
More expressions featuring lions:
- Lion’s Share – Idiom – The largest part.
- Put Yourself In The Lion’s Mouth – Idiom – To put yourself in a dangerous or risky situation.
- The Lion’s Den – Idiom – A dangerous or hostile place or situation.
A picture is worth a thousand words