“A majestic lion with a beautiful mane surveys the world around him.”
More lion facts and lion vocabulary:
- The collective noun for a group of lions is pride.
- A young lion is called a cub.
- A female lion is known as a lioness.
- The male lion grows a mane.
- Lions are native to Africa and India.
- Lions spend around 20 hours a day resting – and nearly an hour a day eating!
- The lion is known as a hypercarnivore. A hypercarnivore is an animal that has a diet that is more than 70% meat.
- Lion’s prey includes wildebeest, zebra, deer, giraffe and buffalo.
More expressions featuring lions:
- Lion’s Share – Idiom – The largest part.
- Put Yourself In The Lion’s Mouth – Idiom – To put yourself in a dangerous or risky situation.
- The Lion’s Den – Idiom – A dangerous or hostile place or situation.
Read more about the lion – African Wildlife Foundation
In The News:
Guest Captures Rare Lion Encounter On Animal Kingdom’s Kilimanjaro Safaris
A picture is worth a thousand words
What is FunkyEnglish?
FunkyEnglish is a website that helps you improve your English. We offer quick lessons that teach idioms, slang, phrasal verbs and more. Visit our homepage to see our latest articles, or use the menu to find specific content!