“A stylish desktop computer with a monitor, mouse and keyboard.”
More Computing Vocabulary:
Let’s review some common vocabulary for different computer hardware. Computer hardware refers to the the physical and electronic parts of a computer.
- Case (noun): the housing that holds all the components of a computer together.
- CPU (noun): Central Processing Unit, the main processor of a computer.
- Hard Drive (noun): a device used to store files, programs, and other data.
- Motherboard (noun): a large printed circuit board in a computer, connecting the other components together.
- Power Supply (noun): a device that supplies power to the other components of a computer.
- Printer (noun): a device that prints text or images onto paper.
- Processor (noun): the central unit that processes data and instructions according to a sequence of instructions.
- RAM (noun): Random Access Memory, a type of memory used by computers to store data and programs.
- ROM (noun): Read-Only Memory, a type of memory used for storing data that cannot be changed.
- Sound Card (noun): a device used to produce sound from a computer.
- Video Card (noun): a device used to display graphics on a computer screen.
Next we will list the different types of computing devices that are available today.
- All-in-One Computer (noun): Computer with a monitor and all components integrated into one unit.
- Desktop Computer (noun): Computer designed to be used in a fixed location.
- Game Console (noun): Computer designed for playing video games.
- Laptop (noun): Portable computer with a built-in keyboard, screen, and battery.
- Mainframe (noun): Large, powerful computer designed for large-scale data processing.
- Netbook (noun): Small, lightweight laptop computer.
- Server (noun): Computer designed to provide services to other computers on a network.
- Smartphone (noun): Mobile device with a touchscreen display and advanced computing capabilities.
- Supercomputer (noun): Extremely powerful computer designed for high-performance computing.
- Tablet (noun): Portable computer with a touchscreen display and no physical keyboard.
- Wearable Device (noun): Computer designed to be worn on the body.
- Workstation (noun): Powerful computer designed for specialized tasks.
Finally we will list the most common types of computer software:
- Application Software (noun): Program designed to perform a specific task.
- Compiler (noun): Program designed to convert source code into machine code.
- Database Software (noun): Program designed to store and manage data.
- Device Drivers (noun): Software that allows a computer to communicate with hardware devices.
- Game Software (noun): Program designed to play video games.
- Graphics Software (noun): Program designed to create and manipulate images.
- Multimedia Software (noun): Program designed to create and manipulate audio, video, and animation.
- Office Suite (noun): Collection of programs designed for office productivity tasks.
- Operating System (noun): System software that manages the hardware and software of a computer.
- Security Software (noun): Program designed to protect a computer from malicious software.
- Utility Software (noun): Program designed to help maintain and optimize a computer.
- Web Browser (noun): Software used to access and view web pages.
In The News:
How to Connect a Wireless Mouse to Your Computer
A picture is worth a thousand words
In The News: Artificial Intelligence. Learn key vocabulary and more related to the topic of AI.
What is FunkyEnglish?
FunkyEnglish is a website that helps you improve your English. We offer quick lessons that teach idioms, slang, phrasal verbs and more. Visit our homepage to see our latest articles, or use the menu to find specific content!