- Idiom – Caught with your pants down or Caught with your trousers down
- Meaning – To be found in a situation that embarrasses you. Caught doing something (usually naughty) that you don’t want other people to know about. To be suddenly discovered doing something (illegal or embarrassing) that you did not want other people to know about. To be found in a situation that makes you appear guilty of something.
- Caught with your pants down can also be used if a person was caught unprepared for some event or situation.
- This expression is often used to describe people in relationships being caught having affairs or cheating.
When could you use this idiom?
- You catch your partner in bed with another person.
- If your boss catches you doing something illegal or dishonest in work.
- Your parent or guardian finds you doing something you shouldn’t be doing.
- A politician is caught on camera doing something illegal or immoral.
- “His wife came home early and nearly caught him with his pants down!”
In The News:
- Is there an idiom like this in your country?
What is an idiom?
An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.