- Idiom – Once in a blue moon
- Meaning – Very rarely or almost never. If something happens once in a blue moon it happens very infrequently.
- The blue moon in this expression has nothing to do with the colour blue. In astronomy a blue moon is the third full moon in a season of four full moons. Seasons (in astronomy) are 3 months long so a fourth moon in a season is a rare event – actually about once every 3 years.
- “I just bought myself a fancy new coffee maker. I don’t know why, I only drink coffee once in a blue moon!”
- Is there an idiom like this in your country?
What is an idiom?
An idiom is a word or phrase that is not taken literally. An idiom is an expression that cannot be understood from the meanings of its individual words, but has a separate meaning of its own.